skip to Main Content

Flying your pet

If you want to relocate with your pet to Canada, this will also require planning, documentation and will generate costs.


To start with your pet will have to be microchipped and have the required vaccinations and certificates thereof from a registered vet. Rabies vaccinations are important for SA pets and need to be less than a year prior to departure.

Puppies can travel on proof of mothers valid inoculations as above between the ages of 8 weeks to 12 weeks.  Thereafter, they will need to have their own inoculations at 12 weeks and wait 30 days before entry into Canada.  Puppies under the age of 8 months old must have an import permit for entry, this must be applied for by the new owner prior to the arrival of the puppy.

No quarantine period is needed for dogs and cats in Canada if they are for personal use.  

Restricted Breeds

To be noted that the following breeds are restricted in Canada: 

The American Staffordshire Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier and their crosses are banned from entering or transiting the province of Ontario. The City of Toronto also bans the breeds; however, air transit is permitted. When transiting Toronto, advance notice must be provided, and an agent must transit your dog.

The following dogs or their mixes are banned in Winnipeg: American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier

Also note that you will not be able to take your own pet food as this is restricted in Canada.